The first step many job seekers take in their job search is a career mapping define their ideal job and create criteria to assess potential opportunities. However, during this process job seekers often fail to identify the skills an employer seeks in potential candidates .
Luckily, many employers are seeking a common core of skills. Prior to an interview, consider this list of skills and consider which best fit your strengths and meet the needs of potential employers.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Basic computer and technical literacy
- Adaptability to changing conditions and assignments
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Leadership abilities
- Planning and organization
- Ability to engage in creative problem solving
- Teamwork and customer service
Before you begin your search for the perfect job among the millions posted in cyberspace, research potential employers. Consider what skills and values a company may be seeking and determine if your own strengths meet an employer's needs. This simple exercise can help you better prepare to be the ideal candidate through the hiring process. Additionally, you will have a better idea how you will fit into a company's culture.